We have begun a Christmas series of messages entitled: “The Word Made Flesh.” This new series is taken from John 1:14 “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”
There is a term that sums up this phrase, that the Word became flesh: “Incarnation”. It's not a word that's in the Bible but it's a term that's used to refer to a person who embodies deity or divinity. “Incarnation” is a term by which Heaven's Door is opened and the Son of God moves from Heaven into our neighborhood into the house of humanity.
The Incarnation only applies to One and that is to Jesus Christ. He is the only embodiment of God…. God made flesh. But how do we know that it was actually the Lord of creation who was putting on flesh in the cradle of Bethlehem?
Today I want to look at the prophecies of the Old Testament written hundreds of years before Christ. Much of it has to do with the Son of God - Jesus coming to earth and doing ministry. As a matter of fact, there are over 300 prophecies in the Old Testament pertaining to Christ coming to earth, His ministry, and His death on the cross that were fulfilled by one person - the God- man Jesus.
So, I want to approach this message in a W5 manner, looking at the O.T. prophecies as to Who, What, Where, When, Why and How of the incarnation.
1. Who? To whom does this prophecy of the Incarnation apply? Isaiah 732 B.C. Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given;
2. What? What would be the work of the Incarnate Son of God? Isaiah 712 B.C. Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor;
3. Where? Where would this incarnation take place? Micah 704 B.C. Micah 5:2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
4. When? When would the incarnation take place? Daniel 539 B.C. Daniel 9:25,26
5. Why? Why did the incarnation take place? Isaiah 712 B.C. Isaiah 53 :5 “But He was wounded for our transgressions…
6. How? How would the Son of God put on flesh? Isaiah 732 B.C. Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.”
nd all of these prophecies were fulfilled on a single starlit night 2000 years ago, as recorded by Luke.
Luke 2:4 Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, 5 to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. 6S o it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. 7 And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.
Join us in person on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. or via livestream by going to https://www.firstbaptistsudbury.com and clicking on livestream for “The Word Made Flesh. ”